Top 5 Boutique Hotels In Nassau with Lots of Island Charm
Credit: Tru Bahamian Food Tours
A restored mansion dating back to the 1740s, The Graycliff estate is a registered Nassau landmark and will transport you back to the Old World. Nestled atop historic West Hill Street and overlooking downtown Nassau, Graycliff is bordered by the prestigious Government House to the East, and Villa Doyle of the The National Art Gallery of The Bahamas, to the West. This property is private, filled with endless historical charm and offers guests a panoply of guilty, yet refined, pleasures on site.
- Breakfast, included in some accommodation packages for guests, is served in the elegant and sunlit 5-star restaurant dining room. Features include: sweet island bread, fresh fruit plates, European-style espresso and eggs Benedict.
- Walk through the enchanting Graycliff gardens shaded by native trees, flowers and fruit blooms
- Explore the 3rd largest private wine collection in the Western hemisphere, take a rolling lesson at the Graycliff Cigar Company or make your own chocolate at the exquisite Graycliff Chocolatier
- Sunbathe or swim in a magnificent tile-painted pool that you won’t be able to take your eyes off of
- Access to the newly opened Graycliff Heritage Village Artist Studios across the street featuring Bahamian artists at work in everything from straw bag weaving to rubber tire painting, ceramics and more
Free Wifi: Yes- property wide.
Transportation 101: 25 minute taxi ride from Nassau International Airport ($27), short walk to Paradise Island water ferry ($4/person each way)
Dining: You’ll have multiple dining options on site depending on your mood including:
- The world-renowned Graycliff 5-Star Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Giotto’s Pizzeria and Beer Garden offers thin-crust pizzas for lunch, dinner or to enjoy poolside and over 20 beer varieties to choose from including local brews Kalik and Sands
- Humidor Churrascaria Brazilian Steakhouse for dinner
Restaurants In The Area: Van Breugel’s Bistro, Athena Cafe, Lukka Kairi and Cafe Matisse
Nearby Attractions: Walking distance to Junkanoo Beach (very touristy), John Watling’s Distillery, Government House, Hillside House Gallery, Tasty Teas, Pompey Museum of Slavery and Emancipation, Rawson’s Square, Queen’s Staircase, and other local museums downtown
Rates: From $395/night
Book at: www.graycliff.com
The Island House
Credit: Rob B. Report
Since The Island House opened its doors in May 2015, Nassau’s newest boutique hotel is arguably the most chic place to stay in New Providence. Located just outside the grounds of the historic Lyford Cay development and conceptualized by some of the country’s brightest and most forward thinking minds, The Island House welcomes guests with 30 rooms (each with an ocean or garden view), a handful of private cottages and an unparalleled boutique Bahamian experience. Although The Island House is positioned at the Western most end of New Providence, a distance away from the downtown neighbourhood and Paradise Island, guests can make arrangements for private transfers or head over on foot to the bus stop nearby for a scenic journey through the rest of the island. In truth, there is so much tranquility and treasure onsite that leaving isn’t something you’ll likely be thinking much about.
- TIH 48-seat cinema featuring blockbuster and arthouse indie films shown weekly, sophisticated snacks and accompanying wine and super-comfy seats to lounge in
- Unparalleled fitness amenities including: a state of the art gym with TRX, barre classes and anti-gravity yoga, 25M lap pool, padel courts, and squash courts
- Special room comforts: rain showers, premium bedding and designer toiletries
- A cozy library space for reading, contemplating and journal writing
- Local artwork from Bahamian virtuosos like John Cox and inspired design elements
- Bamford Spa on site offering a full range of treatments 7 days a week
- Pop Up Boutique Stores showcasing artisan jewellery, resort wear and more
- Customized and exclusive excursion options: arrange with the staff to visit the Holowesko owned private island in the Exumas for the day during your visit and see #50shadesofblue
Free Wifi: Yes, property wide!
Transportation 101: 20 minute taxi ride from Nassau International Airport for $25 each way, direct access to public bus #10 which takes you into town (40 mins away) for $1.25/person each way. There are also private transportation options to and from airport and throughout stay available
Dining: Several outstanding dining options on site, including: Mahogany House (lunch and dinner),Shima (dinner and weekend brunch) and The Coffee House (breakfast, lunch and all day cafe)
Breakfast: Not included with room rate
Nearby Attractions: Clifton Heritage Park with historical ruins, snorkelling off of Jaw’s Beach,Cycling/Bird Watching tours, The Commonwealth Brewery and maker of world famous Kalik Beer and Bahamian favourite Vitamalt, scuba Diving with Stuart’s Cove.
Rates: From $500/night
Book at: www.the-island-house.com
A Stone’s Throw Away
Credit: Mario Nixon Photography
This low-key, plantation style boutique hotel sits perched atop a ridge of limestone overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Rooms come with relaxed wooden furniture and ocean themed decor and there are only 10 of them so you’ll have no problem finding solace during your stay. Complete with hidden enclaves for lounging in a hammock, curling up in the library with a book or exploring the lush flowers and gardens on site, this spot is ideal for travellers in search of restoration and quiet comfort. Even better, A Stone’s Throw Away is a traditional B&B and offers all guests complimentary breakfast each morning in its laid back restaurant on deck overlooking the ocean or in the dining room.
- Complimentary light breakfast featuring: coffee, fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal and toast, cheeses
- Energizing ocean view to wake up to (or lose yourself in at anytime of day)
- Cloistered pool with waterfall on site OR 2 minute walk to beach front
- Rooms that are e-friendly: flat-screen TVs, iPod docks and more
Free Wifi: Yes!
Transportation 101: 8 minutes taxi ride from Nassau International Airportfor $12 each way, direct access to public bus #10 which takes you into town for $1.25/person each way
Dining: On-site restaurant offers lunch and dinner via advanced reservation
Restaurants In The Area: Plantation Hill Grill (great option for a chill burger and beer- be sure to check out their awesome gift shop featuring local crafts, teas, art and more) or Chives Cafe– open for light breakfast, excellent lunch and dinner-to go options (fresh and healthy sandwiches, salads, soups, bakes, and more) and weekend brunch.
Nearby Attractions: Walking distance to the beach
Rates: From $207/night
Book at: www.astonesthrowaway.com
Ocean West Hotel
A new boutique hotel to Nassau’s portfolio, Ocean West Boutique Hotel opened its doors in 2014 with 10 rooms spanning 4 expansive floors, offering privacy and breathtaking island views for its guests. Around every corner of this fine hotel you will find artisan details like hand-painted murals, sculptures, and metalwork, adding decadence to your lodging experience. Located on the expansive Sapodilla Estate in the Western end of New Providence, Ocean West welcomes guests to retreat to the gardens, feed turtles and fish in serene ponds on property, and indulge in world class dining at their award-winning restaurant. A stay at Ocean West is an island escape adorned in gold leaf and grandeur.
- Rooftop gym and deck pool with ocean views
- Expansive estate with manicured sculpture gardens and ponds to enjoy
- Massage and spa services on site
- Fridge and microwave in every room
- 24-hour front desk, lounge with pool table for entertainment
Free Wifi: Yes!
Transportation 101: 8 minute taxi ride from Nassau International Airport for $12 each way, direct access to public bus #10 which takes you into town for $1.25/person each way. Private Transportation options to and from the airport and throughout your stay are available for a fee.
Dining: Bar on site as well as the esteemed Sapodilla Restaurant, boasting gourmet Bahamian and continental classics from award-winning chefs.
Breakfast: Bahamian breakfast options available a la carte (not included in room rate)
Restaurants In The Area: Short taxi ride to Dino’s Tropical Conch Salad, Compass Point, Social House Sushi, and Cable Beach’s fresh fruit Daiquiri Shack.
Nearby Attractions: Discover what the Western end of New Providence has to offer, activities include: a walk through the smuggler’s caves, snorkelling our pristine coral reefs, and kayaking on Lake Nancy.
Rates: From $195-$350/night
Book at: www.oceanwestbahamas.com
Orchard Garden Hotel & Suites
Credit: Orchard Garden Hotel
Orchard Garden Hotel is an inconspicuous inn tucked away from the typical tourist hot spots of the island and situated off of the bucolic Village Road neighbourhood hidden behind old Bahamian trees and shaded shrubs. With approx. 40 rooms on property, the hotel has been hosting budget-conscious guests who don’t mind forgoing the comforts of a deluxe accommodations in exchange for saving a considerable amount on a nightly rate for the past several decades. With rates as low as $75/night, Orchard Gardens is an incredibly economical lodging option for Nassau and offers access to the nearby Montague Park, Montague beach and historic Fort Montague. The #7A Public Bus provides daily access into town or to the Paradise Island Ferry Dock and the relatively low room rates means that you’ll have more cash to spend on dining and exploring Nassau.
- Basic complimentary breakfast included for all guests served 8-10AM daily
- 2 acre garden filled with century-old silk-cotton trees, vines and flowering shrubs
- Next door to Saturday morning Farmer’s Market at Doongalik Studios (also home to local art exhibitions, book launches, poetry readings and more)
- 5 minute walk from Montague Beach and Park
Free Wifi: Poolside and lobby only
Transportation 101: 40 minute taxi ride from Nassau International Airport for $35 each way, direct access to public bus #7A which takes you into town for $1.25/person each way
Dining: No options on site
Restaurants In The Area: Within walking distance, you can make your way to Montague Gardens for local seafood or a steak dinner (open for lunch and dinner) or stop by the Conchie Joe’s Food Truckin Montague Park on weekdays for tasty lunch options like: lobster salad or pulled pork sandwiches. If you’re in the mood for an authentic experience- local fisherman will eagerly prepare a heaping bowl of fresh conch salad (ceviche) or scorched conch.
Nearby Attractions: Walking distance to Montague beach and Park, Fort Montague, Doongalik Art Studios, The Craft Cottage, The Bahamas National Trust, Montague Fish Market
Rates: From $79-$119/night
Book at: www.orchardhotelbahamas.com
Looking for other hotels & properties in Nassau? KAYAK can help you plan your stay!